hypnobirthing Montreal Canada

HypnoBirthing Testimonials

"HypnoBirthing® has changed the way I practice Obstetrics."
Dr. Jeffrey Segil, FA COG, Dover, NH

"A thoroughly thought out and well-organized program. HypnoBirthing ® is a wonderful gift to all birthing women."
Pam Daigneault, Labor & Birthing Nurse
Worcester Memorial Hospital, MA

"The concepts are so easily understood and presented in a forthright manner. The instructor is a is a gifted educator."
Norma Citron, Certified Hypnotherapist, Calabasas,CA

"I want to shout from the rooftops. This is so incredible."
Erin Kimball, Labor & Birthing Nurse, Houston, TX

"This is the way most births should be - simple, calm,and undisturbed."
Maria Williamson, Midwife Lancashire, England

"A fantastic, well developed course. Every midwife and every birthing woman should do HypnoBirthing."
Karen Steele, midwife, United Kingdom

Testimonial from a doctor

I began "delivering" babies in 1983. I believed in the use of drugs to manage obstetrical pain. In spite of my best efforts to use good sound medical judgment, I saw lots of complications, including babies with compromised breathing. I believed that epidurals were a medical blessing for laboring mothers. I had a 25 percent C-section rate.

Many patients demanded natural births. I then performed hundreds of deliveries using pushing and blowing while holding off analgesics until the mother could no longer take the pain. I saw babies that were no longer respiratorily compromised, but both mother and baby were exhausted, and quite often there was a need for respiratory support with oxygen. But my C-section rate had fallen to 5 percent.

Next, I used visualization and guided imagery with patients to manage pain. On occasion, I still had to use narcotics and a rare epidural. I continued to see exhausted babies who were not fully able to bond. I still had a C-section rate of 5 percent.

Eventually, I began using hypnosis to manage pain during birth. The results were okay. Babies were less often compromised and very rarely needed oxygen, but mothers still experienced painful births. My C-section rate remained at 5 percent.

A few years ago, I made the transition to HypnoBirthing, and I now truly believe that normal birthing does not have to involve pain. I have attended over 200 births of women who prepared for birth by learning and using the techniques and philosophy of HypnoBirthing® - "The Mongan Method." All of the families have left their birthings excited about the birth event. I see support people meaningfully involved with the mother and assisting in many different ways. I have had no complications. No babies have needed oxygen or any support other than warming by mother's body. My C-section count is three - in as many years. I have given absolutely no analgesic drugs since I began using HypnoBirthing with mothers.

Over the years, I have come to realize that during a birthing, I no longer perform "deliveries"; I attend and observe as mothers birth their babies in calm and comfort, and birthing companions receive the babies as they emerge. It is as if my new role is to be present to witness the miracle of HypnoBirthing.

Now I enthusiastically lecture to medical groups on a regular basis about the merits of HypnoBirthing as a means of achieving easier, more comfortable births for laboring mothers. I am more than happy to talk to health-care professionals (or anyone else) about my experiences with truly natural birthing. I have a large number of happy HypnoBirthing families - mothers and fathers - who love to talk about their own birthing experiences.

In my present position as a faculty member of the Atlanta Family Medicine Residency Program in Atlanta, Georgia, I train medical residents to use HypnoBirthing as an option for the families they will serve.

I heartily recommend this book, and the well thought-out program that it accompanies, for its contribution toward making the birth of our children a positive and gentle step on the way to a better world.

Lorne R. Campbell, Sr., M.D. - Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, Mercer School of Medicine Assistant Clinical Professor of Family Medicine, University of Rochester and SUNY-Buffalo School of Medicine

Dear Friends and Sisters,

Even though this is not about Magic tricks, it is about the Magic of Birth, and it's important information for all women, Please bare with me while I share this with you, it is important to me. There will be a premier screening of this documentary at UNLV on the 18th (for those of you in Vegas). I will be there! I am planning a show in the near future, that is designed to raise awareness in women to the sacred connection between their bodies and the miracle of birth, to help women understand that giving birth is a Women's ultimate "Rite of Passage" and the most powerful thing we can experience in our lives. Our bodies are designed to know what to do and we have a right to experience this without outside interference and medical intervention UNLESS it is absolutely necessary! I am passionate about this because I have had many friends give birth in the last few years, all the women that opted for natural child birth (only a few and usually at home) have had powerful, trouble free births with perfectly healthy babies, every one that I know that gave birth in the hospital all had been induced and eventually had cesarians! Most of them were force fed fear the entire time and had a traumatizing experience. Some even scheduled cesarians ahead of time before they even went into labor because it was convenient for the doctor!!!?? I have given birth to two beautiful children at home in water (with no drugs!) and it was so empowering and perfect. For more info on this subject contact me directly, please try to see the documentary where ever you can, check out the website below. This is an important piece of work.
Please forward to everyone that you think will be interested or can benefit from this information.
- http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com


Birth: it's a miracle. A rite of passage. A natural part of life. But more than anything, birth is a business. Compelled to find answers after a disappointing birth experience with her first child, actress Ricki Lake recruits filmmaker Abby Epstein to examine and question The way American women have babies. The film interlaces intimate birth stories with surprising historical, political and scientific insights and shocking statistics about the current maternity care system. When director Epstein discovers she is pregnant during the making of the film, the journey becomes even more personal. Should most births be viewed as a natural life process, or should every delivery be treated as a potentially catastrophic medical emergency?


I have to be honest...I'm sorry classes are over. In some ways the weekly sessions have been my grounding tool.... A place where I can connect with MY truth about my birthing beliefs and vision. Being around all of you every Friday has been invaluable...I love the like-mindedness. I leave there feeling so empowered about what is around the corner.

Lately more and more people are asking what technique I'm going to use and when I mention HypnoBirthing® the response is usually, "hah! You have no idea...it simply hurts. Don't be a martyr...go for the drugs." It's really getting on my nerves, why people feel they need to place their own judgment on what I'm doing. I feel very confident in our approach and fortunately I have a WONDERFUL husband who is RIGHT by my side every step of the way!

I want to thank you so much for offering this class and all of the support you have shown through additional resources and always being so open to guiding us in any way we need." You've been a Godsend!

Thanks again!
- Gretchen Reid


David Arturo Bartko was birthed gently into this world on October 4th, 2002.

After a week of labor warm-up that began with a 7 hour session of surges coming every 2-5 minutes, I decided to do a fear-release session with my doula/friend/HBCE Heather Domenico. I had been hearing suggestions from too many people that it would be more convenient to have the baby next weekend, or that my mom needed a few more days to get things ready so she could come out and stay with me after the baby was born.

We did the session at 8 pm, and with a little romantic help from my husband, the surges started at midnight, 2-5 minutes apart from the start. By 3 am I was beginning to get a little uncomfortable, and was having a hard time doing my relaxation, because I was concerned about getting my in-laws over to take care of my 16-month old daughter. So I called the midwife on call from our group- Kathy McKain, CNM, MSN, and then called my in-laws. They arrived and we left for the hospital at 4 am. I remember my father-in-law asking us to keep him posted, and I told him it wouldn't be long. We were in our room by 4:30, and found out I was 6 1/2 to 7 cm open. We realized that we'd left our cd player in the trunk of the car, so Mike (my husband) went to get it. He finally returned after about 20-30 minutes (he got lost trying to find the ER entrance where we had parked) to find that I had already started to breathe the baby down gently with each surge.

Heather had arrived while Mike was MIA, started our video camera, and was giving me gentle suggestions to help with my relaxation. I followed my body's urges, and brought David down slowly- he crowned with my membranes still intact. Kathy tore the membranes open so he could take his first breath as he was born.

Official time of birth was about 5:30 am. 7 lbs. 6 oz., 20" long. We were able to videotape the entire birth. It was great to be able to go back and watch it all over again that afternoon. We were even showing it to some of the nursing students who came in to observe postpartum care. They were all amazed to see how calm and gentle birthing can be.

David is my second HypnoBirthing baby. My daughter was born in June of 2001 at a different hospital with a skeptical OB, who had me in the hospital as soon as he could make me come in because of my membranes having released and I was GBS positive. There was much more pressure for medical interventions, but I had plenty of time to get into a very deep relaxation, and I had no discomfort until the doctor managed to talk me into an episiotomy that I didn't need (my daughter was only 5 lbs. 13 oz.) But that's a different story.

Just for the record- the only thing I can say about David's birth was that it was a more intense experience- whether that was due to his size, or the speed of my labor, I do not know. It was still a peaceful, easy birth, and I am thankful for the techniques that I have learned.

Now if I can just find the time to finish my certification and submit it, I can begin to teach other women how to take back their births as well.

The midwife group is very excited about HypnoBirthing. Kathy asked if she could have a copy of my birth video to show when she does in-services/seminars to medical and nursing students.
- Christa Bartko


I would like to thank you for making it possible for Hope to have such an easy labor and delivery through HypnoBirthing. We were all shocked and amazed as to how wonderfully she did. When Hope and I met with you a few months ago, you asked me to share with you my fears and concerns regarding her labor and delivery. Unfortunately, we never got a chance to speak about it, but I want to share with you what my feelings were. As a mother, I did not want to see my child in pain, even if the end result was the birth of my grandchild. That is one of a mom’s jobs – not to see her child suffer. The other concern was the fear of having something happen to her or the baby. As with many of life’s events, we are helpless to what is beyond our control. So I felt that I was going to have to sit by passively and pray that nothing happened. The blessed thing is that nothing did, and to make it even better, not seeing Hope in a lot of pain was an added blessing.

I am convinced that HypnoBirthing is the way to go and have been singing its praises to all who will listen. There were no drugs and more drugs to counteract those drugs.Hope was alert and aware of the events in the room. Our Olivia came into this world without crying and screaming, but peaceful and calm and just as happy to see us as we were to see her. We all felt a part of the birthing process by enjoying the miracle that it is and not having to see someone in pain and not being able to manage it. There was not a ope to push and hold her breath as in the typical labor. HypnoBirthing allowed us to enjoy the miracle and witness Olivia’s birth without all the drama that the typical labor and birth brings. We all just stood there in amazement as Hope calmly pushed Olivia into our awaiting hearts.

I hope you will share this with Mickey and thank her for pioneering this wonder. I can’t thank you enough for all you have done to make Olivia’s birth even more special!

- Karen D. Jones (Hope’s mom and Olivia’s grand-ma)


I would like to share my experience with you.
When I had my first child in 1961, I did not use self-hypnosis because at that time I did not even think about it. After that I decided to try it and contacted a doctor that taught people how to hypnotize themselves. I went to about four sessions with him. That was the best thing I could have possibly done for myself. Even though I didn't have a hard birth with my first child, with the rest of them it was a piece of cake.

When I went into labor with my second child, the nurse didn't think I was as far along as I was because I was just lying there. Finally, I told her that the baby was coming and she didn't believe me. She said that the pressure I was feeling was that I just had to go to the bathroom, and she went and got me a bedpan. When she raised the cover to place the bedpan, she saw that the baby's head was already right there. It was a good thing my doctor lived only two blocks from the hospital.

The nurse was so nervous that she couldn't get the bed out of the room to take me to the labor room. (Remember when we had labor rooms back then, not birthing rooms like our children currently have?). Finally my husband got the bed out of the room, she brought me to the labor room, and got me on the table with my feet in the stirrups (you remember that don't you? LOL). She kept running around the table waiting for the doctor. I asked her if she had ever delivered a baby before and she said yes, but I really didn't believe she had, she was too nervous. The doctor came strolling in and asked if he had time to wash up. I told him that he had better get down to the foot of the table to catch the baby before it fell on the floor. Just as he got there, my baby came flying out.

The rest of my children were all just as easy, the only thing was that the nurses still didn't know about hypnosis for birthing. They would never believe I was as far along as I was, and wouldn't come check on me as often as they should. My next two daughters were born in my bed as we were on the way to the labor room. My doctor finally caught on and my last son was born in the labor room because the doctor brought me there as soon as he got to the hospital.

I also used self-hypnosis to have teeth removed without any shots. It can be used for so many good things in the medical field that it's a shame that it isn't used more often.
Thanks for asking me for my story.
- Ethelyn


I had to share this with all of you, especially since you've all been so helpful in answering all of my questions (especially the 'snacks' question...people LOVE the popcorn recipes!)

I talked to my first REALLY successful HB mom this morning...I'm thrilled! She actually gave birth in AUGUST...I had talked to her husband a few times, but his version just wasn't as exciting. :) This was her second baby. Her first story was absolutely awful, even to the point of the doctor tearing the placenta out of her body. She was so amazed when this placenta just "flowed" out on its own!

She said that she only had about four hours of labor, wasn't even sure that she was in labor, but remembered my story, so she went to the hospital anyway. She stood around the nurses for a while before they asked her why she was up in " labor & delivery". She said that she was there to have a baby. They asked, "When?" She said, "Now." "But, you're so calm," they replied. She was almost 7 centimeters. She had only 4 surges that included pain because she was paying too close attention to what others were doing. Then regained the calming effect with her husband's help.

She told me that she got tired of breathing down and apologized (!) because she said that she had to push because she got tired of waiting. When I asked her how long she pushed, she said, "Oh, about 4 seconds, and then he came out." :) "Perfect..."

The really interesting part was about the day on which the baby was born. She had given the baby a general time when she thought that he should be born (around the doctor's guess), but only told the baby a few times. But, told her mother over & over again that it was going to be on the 14th (8 days after the guess), because she didn't want her mother to come too early. Well, you guessed it, the baby was born on the 14th. "Never lie to your mother!" she said.

Well, thanks for all of your encouragement. My other clients have been successes, too, in their own way, except for one that didn't even listen to the tapes. This one is the first one that really mirrored my own experience with HB. I am so pleased that I found this path. See you at the conclave.
Peace (& smiles),
- Kirsten


BBC News Online Health Staff
Pia Goodman was terrified at the thought of giving birth, but she astonished midwives by having her first baby in just over three hours at home without any painkillers. Ms Goodman admits she is a worrier and the thought of labour pains and the fears of what could go wrong were almost too much. So when she was about 22 weeks pregnant she decided to try a pioneering new technique called HypnoBirthing.

Hypnosis, relaxation, visualisation and breathing techniques to prepare the mother for birth. And Ms Goodman, of Wilmslow, Cheshire, said it had worked fantastically during Imogen's birth.

"I am usually quite scared and I was petrified about going into labour. I am a worrier and I do get quite panicky about things like childbirth so I thought this might help me."

After taking the course Ms Goodman was so confident that she decided to try for a home birth.

"She was my first and I had her at home. I said that I had wanted a home birth, but I did not think I would be able to do it. But I went to see my midwife when I was 39 weeks and five days pregnant and said I definitely wanted a home birth. She panicked and said I hadn't given her much time, but my mum was my birthing partner and she and I were confident we could do it."

Diligent practice, as well as the series of classes Ms Goodman was given textbooks and relaxation tapes and she practised them religiously in the months leading up to the birth. So when the big day came five weeks ago she was able to put all the theory into practice.

"The midwives were so impressed I had my HypnoBirthing breathed. I just breathed her out without drugs it was just great and I could not have wished for anything better. I think it is just fantastic and it really, really helped."

Hypnotherapist Sonya Wadsworth, of Oldham, said that Ms Goodman's experience at her birth just five weeks ago were typical of the many positive responses she has had to the pioneering technique. Since she started the HypnoBirthing, very happy mothers complete her course and have successful births, including one set of twins.

"It gives women the chance to have choices. We reframe everything for mothers in a positive way so that the mums gain the confidence to have a good birth.

We use self-hypnosis so that they can do it themselves and so that by the time the birth comes round they are actually looking forward to it rather than dreading it."


But although the technique is ideal for enabling natural childbirth, it can also be adapted for women who know they are going to have complications. One of Mrs. Wadsworth's clients suffered from pre-eclampsia and needed a Caesarean section, but she was able to use the technique to make the experience as pleasant as possible.

"The mothers have the birth that is for them, we do not set them up to fail. And the babies born in this way are so much calmer because they have been born in such a calm way. They really are chilled babies. We have had women coming to us who are absolutely terrified at the thought of giving birth and they have gone on to have a perfectly natural birth with no drugs, not even paracetamol."

Mary Newburn, of the Natural Childbirth Trust, said natural birthing methods like HypnoBirthing be encouraged by the NHS as a means of cutting the growing Caesarean rates." We should be exploring ways of letting people get over fear. The birth process is very straightforward if you can get into the mindset. Compared with some other self-help hypnotherapy is quite a minority interest but in the cases of people I have heard who have used this there have been very positive reports."
- Jane Elliott


These are just my feelings and thoughts, It’s just the way I put things. I have used a lot of sayings from the book, but I can’t help it, its just built into my mind.

to us, we were very excited, we talked about what the baby would look like. We were very positive and both extremely relaxed. We knew this was going to be a great day.

I was feeling only tightenings in my stomach, I visualized the muscles stretching up then pushing down to open the cervix. I felt very happy to have this feeling as I knew the baby was coming to me. I was never uncomfortable and it was very peaceful as I listened to music and the colours of the rainbow tape. With each wave it was if my body went into a total automatic relaxed but focused state. Between the waves I felt so relaxed, I felt sleepy. Soon I felt the urge to push, Our little was handed to us after 3 pushes of non interference labour. The HypnoBirthing programme and Peter had shown me how to enjoy my labour. With each surge I felt very happy and confident. Labour is a beautiful, beautiful thing and I wish everyone could experience the peace and calmness that I did whilst birthing our baby.

My recovery was very quick as I had not used my energy in fighting fear of my birth. The HypnoBirthing technique has become a very special gift in my life. I feel totally privileged to have this knowledge to have given me the ultimate birth experience. I remember at one session with Peter watching a video of this total in control mother giving birth and I thought, wow. But no I still don’t think I’ll be like that. .... Well from the first wave to the last I was like that lady, but I wasn’t even trying to be. It’s exactly like I learn’t, as so proud of myself, and my husband couldn’t believe what I was like. Due to work commitments my husband was unable to come to all the classes, he was happy for me to do the programme. The point I would like to make to all the mothers is, r own ghout the pregnancy and the birth and was so proud of me. He is now so positive of the HypnoBirthing Programme.

Thank you so much for helping me to enjoy birthing as it should be enjoyed, also enjoying life as it should be enjoyed.
Love from Tania, Geoff, Samuel and Lucy Sharman XX OO


It was about 10:00 Friday evening when I felt the first surge. I was almost exactly one week overdue and I felt great. My husband, Aaron, and I had taken HypnoBirthing® when I was 5 months pregnant and I felt prepared. I had been listening to Rainbow Relaxation everyday and we did the perineal massage for about 3-5 minutes every night. In addition, I was doing the prescribed stretches everyday to stay limber for the upcoming event.

So, Friday night when I felt that surge, I just kept going about my business. This was my second baby, and if there was anything I learned from the first, it was preparing our guest room because my father and stepmother were due in the next day from Texas. (They had planned on coming to see the baby, but since he decided to take his time, they were going to be there for the birth.) I didn’t start timing the surges and most of the time I just forgot they were still going. I finished the room and went to sleep.

The next morning, there they were. Aaron has college from 8-5 on Saturdays, so he was gone. I just worked around the house all day, ran some errands, and kept busy. I still didn’t really notice the surges unless I sat down and thought about it. My dad and stepmom got there in the afternoon and that evening we went to dinner. During dinner, I let my stepmother feel my belly as it rose up with each surge and settled down. It was amazing to me that I was having these contractions enjoyed a lovely dinner and went home.

Before I went to bed, I timed the surges and they were about 7 minutes apart for over an hour, so I called my doctor per his instructions. The doctor on call told me to come to the hospital. I thought about it, but I decided that I would rather rest and see what happens than spend the night in the hospital. Again, I went to sleep.

The next day, the surges were gone. My dad took my 3 year old out to breakfast, so my husband and I had sex while we still could and then I jumped in the shower. I was still in my pajamas and sitting at the kitchen table when I felt my membrane release! I was so excited that I had to consciously calm myself down. I called the doctor and she was first irritated that I hadn’t gone to the hospital the night before, and now she wanted me to go directly there. I told her I wanted to labor at home as long as possible. I explained that the fluid was clear and I wasn’t having surges and everything was fine. She conceded that I could stay at home for 2 hours. Apparently someone forgot to tell her that this was MY BIRTH. My husband and my dad finished installing a new garbage disposal and then we went to the mall and shopped (with washrags in my underwear) and showed up at the hospital about 5 hours later. Needless to say, the doc was not pleased. She put in an order for pitocin and left. I told the nurse that we had a birth plan and she should read it and then call the doctor back and tell her I refused the pitocin.

By this time, I was definitely having surges again.

Aaron and I walked around the labor and delivery ward and I was in good spirits and still felt great.

My dad, stepmom, and mother in law were all there, and had all read and agreed to the birth plan.

Eventually, the baby’s heart rate was falling with each surge. I had been in active labor and was faced with the decision to try to keep going on my own and risk c-section, or use pitocin and have a natural birth. We reluctantly chose the pitocin.

Because we had to constantly monitor the baby’s heart rate, and our birth plan specifically denied internal monitors, I was forced to labor in one position the entire time. I was laying on my right side, which was the only place they could even find the heartbeat. (Note: I am now studying to be a midwife, and I feel that the use of pitocin here was not warranted. Had I known then what I know now, I never would have consented to its use in this situation. I think the hospital staff used scare tactics to talk me into something they knew I didn't want to do.)

For some reason, I had to use the restroom constantly during labor. So, I just got up and went to the toilet and went. This may not seem like a huge feat, but with my first birth I had to have a catheter and I couldn't have gotten to the toilet even if I wanted to because I was so sick.

Women in the rooms around me were screaming in pain, but I was still calm and relaxed.

My family and I even watched a movie! As I headed into transition, I went deeper inside myself and was so relaxed I began falling asleep between the surges. I just kept using the deep breathing techniques and the nd I was still in control and relaxed.

Finally, the nurse checked me and I had another bag of waters!! She went to call and notify the doctor and I got up to use the restroom. Just then, the second bag broke. Immediately, I felt the urge to breathe down. I made it back to the bed and the nurse checked and I was at 7-8 cm. She had me roll to the other side because only one side of my cervix was fully effaced. When I got to the other side, the baby was already crowning and I needed to breathe the baby down. The doctor, however, was not there yet and the nurse was terrified that she would have to deliver the baby. She was telling me to not push, and to pant through the surges like a dog. At this point, I was still staying relaxed, but I knew I needed tobreathe downand this was not the way I had planned to do it. I didn’t want to wait for the doctor. Then, the doctor came in and the first thing she said was of the table.ll the commotion of trying to get where the doctor wanted me to be, I started freaking out. I couldn’t concentrate when the baby’s head was coming out and I was trying to roll over and scoot! I finally got in the , thanks to my husband. He whispered in my ear that this is what we worked for and reminded me "deep breath for you, and a deep breath for baby", and let’s do this.e 8 pound 1 ounce baby boy was gently breathed into this world with no episiotomy and no tearing. It had been 17 hours since my water broke. Andrew Patrick was so calm and alert. He just looked at the doctor and opened his eyes. It was amazing. In fact, so amazing that I became a HypnoBirthing® practitioner so I could share the gift of HypnoBirthing with other women.


When I was having my first child I was under the guise that giving birth was instinctual and it would come to me at the time. I approached the delivery totally ignorant, and with no control over the situation at all and ultimately medical intervention. For years I harboured a regret that I was not "successful" in giving birth to my baby. As the second pregnancy progressed so did both anxiety and a determination that this time it would be different, better for both me and my baby.

A friend suggested HypnoBirthing®. With about eight weeks to go until my E.D.CI attended a series of HypnoBirthing® classes. I was still working, however every spare minute I put into practicing the HypnoBirthing® techniques. I sent thoughts to the baby about our different roles during the birth, visualizing the birth and listening up to three times a day to the rainbow relaxation. Even if I couldn't attend to the relaxation I still listened. The breathing took practice.

With only four weeks to go my anxiety was becoming excitement. My faith for a good birth was ever present. The HypnoBirthing® was working. I recorded the affirmations found in the programme booklet onto an audio tape and played it over and over, in the car, doing the house work, last thing at night and during my rest periods during the day.

My labour commenced at 3.30am, the sensations where very rhythmical and I allowed myself to go with them. With each wave I withdrew into myself to be with my body and my baby. It was so peaceful. My husband woke at five and I was so proud because it was me telling him to stay calm. At 5.30am a wave came with a stronger surge followed by a 'pop'. My waters had released. Still I was calm. I continued using the techniques of HypnoBirthing.Just closing off to everything and allowing the sensations to come and go.

We arrived at the hospital at 8.05am. The sensations were strong I began to count them through. My cervix was 81/2 centimeters dilated. I had chosen to squat during the birth, a decision that did not please the baby because he became distressed.

The Doctor suggested that he do a forceps delivery. I remained calm but expressed my disappointment at having to abandon my plan. In response to this the Doctor suggested that I follow his instructions. He got me to change positions and gently coached me in active pushing. Our son was born at 11.06am without any intervention.

It would have to rate as one of the greatest achievements of my life.

Thanks to HypnoBirthing® we had a natural birth without medication. I was completely alert and in control 100% of the time. My perineum tore along my past episiotomy scar. That was nothing. Joy prevailed.

I fully recommend HypnoBirthing®. If there were to be a next time I would go during the first trimester of the pregnancy so there would be more time to practice." Thank you, Peter, so much, for making the programme available. (Baby Warwick was born in June 2001. His Mother, Leanne, has just given me her story of the birth. It is interesting to note that there was a 14 year gap between Leanne’s first child and baby Warrick. I thought this would be an inspirational birth story for other Mothers to read.
- Peter Jackson, HypnoBirthing® Practitioner, NSW, Australia


Nicole & Darrin Wilby
Merry Christmas and a happy Hypno New Year to you and your Family. How's the new Grandson? Darrin and myself are in awe of our darling little girl "Bronte Beatrice" God love her. She so beautiful, happy and content little human. We couldn't wish for anything more (but another one).

I am forever approached by people both young and old, commenting on what a beautiful content baby she is. I put a large part of that down to the wonderful peaceful pregnancy and birth prep. When people ask me about my birth and I smile and say, it was so peaceful, calm and drug free, they look at me as if I am some sort of freak.

But when I explain about Hypnobirthing® they are intrigued. I go on to say that I don't have any memory of being in uncontrollable pain, and that I was nice and relaxed in my warm tub, dreaming of my little angel, and of being in my own peaceful place in my mind, but most of all, being in control of my birth, they melt. I found Darrin's slow calming voice and knowing how to help me reach my deep relaxing state very calming and trusting.

We both got so much out of your classes. Friends and family (Mum being there) commented on how very calm, but most of all so connected we were before the birth and after. I think this has had a profound effect on Bronte's world. My only wish is that I had found out about the (classes in HypnoBirthing®) and you sooner, and maybe had a little more time to practice, because I did loose my concentration 40 minutes before the actual birth; because I think I was very tired and couldn't concentrate, I couldn't get comfortable, I had a little trouble holding my focus right at the end. Not for want of trying let me tell you, poor Darrin tried to get me to focus, but I was exhausted.

And now 8 months after the birth, I still smile when ever I talk or think of our birth experience. I have given myself a newgoal for my next birth. More time to prepare. I think that's very important. We did great for a couple who came at (37 weeks) and had to move through the 4 sessions very quickly. Plus the practice time at home (most of which I fell asleep during the tapes) But we had great faith and believed in what we wanted and how we wanted it to happen. Makes all the difference really.

Darrin and I believe so much more in us, both as individuals and as a couple. We know we can achieve anything we set our minds to, Bronte is testimony to that fact. We are forever grateful for you opening our eyes to a very wonderful thing that Hypnobirthing® is and having such a wonderful time with our first we hope to do the same again with number two. Here's to a new Year and a new outlook for birth and labour, (What labour?) We would be happy for people to contact us to tell of our wonderful Hypno experience. Once again thank you.
- Love Nicole, Darrin and Bronte Nicole


I just wanted to write and tell the story of the birth of my son Noah.I always knew I was interested in as natural a birth as possible and when I got pregnant I began to explore my options.I decided that hiring a doula would be a good first step.I had the incredible good fortune to meet Dee Pullen, who is a doula and an educator of HypnoBirthing®. Dee told me about HypnoBirthing® and I thought it sounded interesting.My husband and I took the classes and diligently practiced the relaxation exercises. I had an amazingly relaxing and easy pregnancy. I always believed in the power of my mind but I have to admit, I was a little nervous about the actual labor.

On September 6, in the late afternoon, I started feeling regular surges but I had no trouble getting through them. My husband came home from work and began timing them.I was so relaxed that I actually had to tell him when I had one. I kept using a visualization that involved me diving into a pool, towards a coin on the bottom. When the surge was its strongest, I was at the bottom and as the surge ended, I saw myself swimming towards the surface. This worked so well for me.Dee came to my house at about 9:30 PM and my water broke at 10:45.Up until this point, I was really not even convinced I was in labor.It seemed TOO painless! I arrived at the hospital at about 11:15 and I still felt only pressure.

I felt great and very excited but I was a little concerned that I had come to the hospital too soon. The nurse checked me and to my amazement, I was already 8 cm dilated. My beautiful son was born on September 7 at 1:13 AM after 45 minutes of pushing. I kept saying to Dee and my husband, "It worked!!"

I have been telling everyone I know about HypnoBirthing®.It is possible to have a beautiful birth experience and to feel NO PAIN! My husband and I feel so blessed to have met Dee and to have had the opportunity to be able to remember our son's birth in such a positive way. Keep spreading the news! I would love for you to post my story on the new additions page and I have a picture I would like to send you but I am having a little difficulty sending it. Is it okay if I send it later tonight once my husband fixes the scanner?
Thanks again
- Lorinda Gamson


Two years ago I gave birth to a wonderful baby boy. However, the birthing itself was not wonderful. In fact, it was terrible! I was induced with pitocin, given 2 epidurals (one didn't take), the 2nd epidural wore off before the birth was finished, the baby got stuck in the birth canal, etc. It was a long, painful, and scary process.When my husband and I found out that I was pregnant again, we were scared to death that the experience would be recreated.When we heard about HypnoBirthing® from our midwife we were doubters. But we had to try something to make it better.

The classes taught us the physical side of the birthing process and how a woman’s body is designed for it. Also the many fear release sessions and breathing and visualization techniques were wonderful. During the last session we analyzed our first birth in light of our newfound knowledge and abilities, what and why things go wrong, how things can be avoided, and what we are now able to do to correct and improve the birth.

We practiced our newly learned techniques daily and became more and more confident in our ability to produce the birth we wanted.After the last class we KNEW we could it. A week or two before my due date I experienced mild backaches and surges.I easily breathed through them and continued with my busy life. Since all I felt was pressure, no pain, I just thought that my body was still practicing. When I finally noticed that my surges were regular, they were about 2 minutes apart. My husband and I hurried to the hospital, meaning to contact Joleen, my teacher, once we got there.

Once in the hospital I told my husband to call Joleen while I went to the bathroom. My midwife wanted to check me first and when she did, she said the baby was right there and for me to push. I pushed for about 8 minutes and my beautiful baby girl appeared.

Thanks to the classes and techniques of HypnoBirthing®, I was able to be calm and have an easy birthing experience. No Drugs!No episiotomy or tear! Only 2 hours from home to holding my baby in my arms. I would recommend using HypnoBirthing® to a friend and would use it again for another birthing myself. I now know how wonderful and fulfilling a birthing can be.
- Pat, Albuquerque, NM


I would like to begin by telling you how grateful I am for your teachings. After taking the classes with a practitioner of HypnoBirthing®in my area I enjoyed a three and a half hour total labor for the birth of my second daughter in the comfort and serenity of my own home. The labor for my first daughter's birth lasted 49 exhausting, painful hours culminating in two long hours of pushing. (Due in part to the demerol after 30hours, and the epidural after 40 hours...) Needless to say, I owe a debt of gratitude to you and your teachings.

I have longed to find a channel for my urge to teach in a deep and meaningful way that can truly impact individuals and the world for the highest good of all concerned. I firmly believe that my experiences and beliefs make me an ideal candidate to become a practitioner of HypnoBirthing®.

Please let me know if you have any plans for classes in my area in the near future. If not, please let me know if there is anything I can do to influence that, such as recruiting other students or hosting the classes in my home. I believe I have much to offer to the women who long to birth their babies in a natural, peacefulway and to the unborn babies who long to be born in such a manner.
Thank you so much for all that you do.
- Diane Rose-Feely


I just wanted to drop you a line to thank you for our HypnoBirthing® training. Joseph William was born on December 12th! He is such an amazing and sweet little being! He was 8lbs. 2oz. at birth. Our labor was only six hours, which I attribute to HypnoBirthing®. I feel so blessed that I progressed so quickly and without any problems. The nurses at Northwest Medical Center (here in Tucson) were very respectful of our birth plan and gave us lots of privacy.

Unfortunately, my o.b. was not on call and one of her partners attended us. She seemed baffled when she came and realized that we weren’t doing Natural childbirth is so unheard of?) The next day when she checked on me, she commended us for doing so well. Perhaps she will remember the experience and recommend HypnoBirthing® to future patients who want to avoid the current medical model for childbirth? We can only hope.

Anyway – it was so wonderful meeting you and learning from you. You have developed such a wonderful birthing philosophy. I can’t wait to have more babies so I can use your techniques again! I mean it! I am so thankful for you and HypnoBirthing® and I’m so glad that we chose this path. Say o Gene for us.
Thanks again! XOXO
- Melissa & Joe Manas

P.S. Mickey – Joe was such an amazing birth companion (we knew he would be – but I wish you could have seen him. What a GEM!)


I used HypnoBirthing® with my second. It was textbook. I did errands, consulted with a roofer, shopped, etc., for the 1st 2 hours of my birthing. I was 7 cm when I got to the hospital. Membranes released, unfortunately with assistance from my midwife, I didn't know any better. (I would've if I took the class; I worked with a friend that did the class). I sat on the birthing ball and birthed within the hour. I listened to Rainbow Relaxation the whole time with headphones. Total birthing was 5 hours. It was great!

I wish I did take the class but there was no practitioner in the area. If I did, I would've gotten so much more out of the experience. I missed out on a good explanation of breathing down, the practice with my husband and getting him more involved, the handouts and one-on-one interaction. Regardless, the method works and I had a comfortable birth without medical intervention.
- Catherine Angell McCabe


I tried HypnoBirthing® after a conventional first birth using medication. The technique, as taught to me by William Van Camp, enabled me to have an all natural, virtually painless, and profoundly moving experience.

Hypnobirthing® is a remarkable, revolutionary approach to childbirth that allows the parents to create a truly beautiful and peaceful birth. Mr. Van Camp's expertise in hypnosis, patience, and generosity all contributed to my ability to learn techniques of HypnoBirthing® in a short period of time. Plus you can apply what you learn to many other aspects of your life!
- D. Z.


Kaitlin Elizabeth Boyer, 7lbs. 5oz., September 4, 2001

Thank you so much! What a difference from my first delivery. HypnoBirthing® really works! My doctor, the nurses, and my husband were all amazed at how relaxed and le to remain throughout my labor and birthing. I could hardly believe it myself. Although HypnoBirthing® didn’t take the pain away, it definitely made it much more manageable. I can’t believe I did it without any pain meds. I went in with an epidural in the back of my mind in case the hypnosis didn’t work. During my labor my doctor told my husband that we should have videotaped it to show other people how labor is supposed to be.

I feel that my recovery time was also affected because my labor was so easy I had very little discomfort after it was over and was up and about much faster than with my first birthing. I wish I had known about HypnoBirthing® then. It definitely worked better than I expected. I am now a firm believer and recommend HypnoBirthing® to everyone.

Again, THANK YOU! - Julie Boyer


We started our new year with the birth of our first son. Christopher Donald came to us on January 6th, 2000 at 10:35am, healthy and happy.

Here's the story. Coleen's water broke on January 5th at 5:30am. She felt surges that were 15 minutes apart. By noon, the surges were 8 minutes apart, so we went to the hospital. By 1:15pm she was in bed and hooked up to the monitor. The surges were a little bit erratic. By 3:00pm the surges were at 2+ minutes apart and everything was going along well.

As the day passed, so did the surges. By 8:00pm, labor had completely stalled. We tried all suggestions, but nothing seemed to work. The next morning, we were hoping that things would start back up, but no luck.

By 7:30am, the topic of inducing labor was being discussed. We did feel good, but the decision (ours) was made to start Pitocin very slowly. By 10:00am things started to happen very fast. The first surges came on so fast and so hard that it put Coleen in a state of fear!

She said that she couldn't continue, she stated that "She could not do it"! I reminded her of all the tools that she had and that "She could do it". Moments later she was in a relaxed state, and by 10:35am Christopher was born. Coleen did tear a little and concern came from a continued loss of blood. Minutes later, they realized that a membrane had been ripped inside her. They rushed to stop the bleeding and were successful. By now she had lost a lot of blood and was starting to black out. They had started an IV for antibiotics the night before, so the connection of plasma was fast and easy. Coleen is recovering very nicely and is not overdoing herself. The midwife said "Coleen did not have pain or discomfort throughout her birthing process.

That's our story! HypnoBirthing® worked great! Thank you for all your work in HypnoBirthing®.
Warmest regards,
- Cris & Coleen Stavrou


My phone rang at 11:00 a.m. with Dad calling me to say that Mom's water possibly released the night before around 11:00 p.m. At this point Mom was not experiencing much in the way of surges but was relaxing well at home. They decided to give the Ob a call and he advised them to stay home until surges were 3 minutes apart. At around 5:30 p.m. surges were every 5 minutes and Mom decided to make her way to the hospital which was about 30 minutes away. She was admitted and found to be 3 c.m. open and 90% effaced. At 6:30 p.m. she told the nurse that she planned to have the baby in about 2 hours. With a roll of the eyes and a smirk the nurse said, "well, stranger things have happened". Sounded like a plan to me!

Mom labored peacefully in bed and was not interested in walking or moving around much. She hated the straps of the monitor and talked the nurse into removing them for good. Imagine, a hand held dopler magically appeared. I've been working at this hospital for years and had never seen one.

After an hour and a half Mom opened her eyes and said, "I'm all wet." We took a look and saw a lot of fluid and birth show. The nurse decided to check her and found her to be 9 c.m. The Dr. was called and she began to breathe the baby down. Dr. arrived and said she was complete with baby at +2. The nurses went into medical mode and began to bark orders to push complete with counting to 10 etc . . . For a few minutes the room became chaotic but Mom stayed focused and refused to push. Dr. Wonderful recognized the conflict and told the nurses to stay quiet. He asked me what the training was for this stage. I told him Mother directed "pushing". He was fine with that and told the nurses that I would be the only one speaking to Mom as it was my voice and hypnosis that she had practiced with. So, I gently encouraged her to follow the lead of her body and trust the process and in a few breaths and a grunt, her beautiful baby girl arrived. There were no tears . . . The time was 8:49 p.m. I can't think of a better Christmas present . . .
- Vivian


I have just returned to work after a brilliant 12 weeks off for maternity leave. I thought I would drop you a line to let you know how things went.

I was 10 days overdue and had to go into hospital so they could place me in false labor to make sure the baby could handle the stress as my fluid levels were very low and they wanted to induce me the next morning. We passed with flying colors so they sent me home to get some rest before the bid day! They explained that I would feel some small cramping until about 2:00 a.m. so not to worry . . .

Well I went home and relaxed for the night and as expected felt a little crampy so just kept listening to the CD's and doing my breathing and I felt great. I was doing my breathing while watching TV with my mother and having a laugh until 11:30 p.m. that night. I decided then to take a bath as I was a little anxious about the next day and thought this would relax me a little more. Ger came into the bathroom at 12:15 to tell me to go to bed to have some rest for the big day and I was sitting there all relaxed shaving my legs . . . don't want to subject the midwives to big hairy ones ;-) I got out of the bath and went to bed . . . that lasted about 20 minutes as I couldn't get comfortable so I went back to the bath. When I couldn't get comfortable there either, I figured I must have gone into labor myself so decided to call the hospital.

By the time I got down stairs (1:15 a.m.) to call I could no longer talk as was in full blown labor. I went back upstairs and asked Ger to call and he thought I was kidding based on the fact I was shaving my legs only an hur ago. We threw our stuff together in a hurry and ran. My last words while in panic mode to my mother were "f##k HypnoBirthing get me drugs" :-)

don't worry - this feeling was short lived once I could relax again.
We flew into the hospital which is luckily enough 10 minutes away and had to abandon the car at the front door and run. When we got to the birth place in SNMC at 2 a.m. there was no time to check-in so I just headed for the staging room while I was waiting for my room to be assigned. I had to pee really bad so I went into the bathroom and without thinking locked the door. Well - while peeing the baby came further down so I couldn't stand up. I called to Ger for some help and he and the nurse said really calmly . . . don't panic but - you have locked yourself in and we need you to open the door. So naked from waist down I had to launch myself onto my hands and knees and crawl to the door to let them in . . . there goes all the dignity thought I ever had.

They carried me over to a bed and wheeled me to my room (I still to this day don't know if I had a cover over me or was just naked rolling down the hall . . . some things are better left unknown :-)

When I got to the room I was so calm and relaxed that the midwife came in and thought I was in early labor. This changed when she decided to check me and saw the baby's head . . . still inside the bag of waters. She broke my water and I moved on to deliver the baby which was calm and relaxed during the surges but filled with jokes in - between.

Derek was born at 2:19 a.m. (19 minutes after we made it to the door) a healthy 8 lbs boy with no drugs or stiching needed.

-----Call from security at 3:00 a.m. to our room . . . oops we forgot about the car that was still at the door with the keys in it !!!!


About one week before my "guess date" I began having surges that were different from the many Braxton Hicks that I had throughout my pregnancy.

Most of the time they got strong enough to begin timing but then after a few hours they would stop all together. Thinking this baby would come early my mom came out from Californa a few days early . . . and we waited and waited and waited.

At a doctor's visit I was told I was l cm open and 50% thinned. After the "guess date" came and went we began doing all the labor inducing activites we could think of (some more fun than others!). After following he castor oil recipe in the HypnoBirthing book, I began having strong contractions (just a note: chase castor oil with Coke and it isn't too bad). The surges were not consistent but I began slowly leaking amniotic fluid. I didn't want to head to the hospital right away because I know the 24 hour rule and figured they'd try to rush the birth for fear of infection so I slept that night as much as I could through some pretty strong surges and worked on lots of visualizations. The next morning John and I headed to the hospital to check the status of things. My membrane did rupture but I was STILL only 1 cm open and 50% thinned - same as I was at the doctor's office one week earlier. I got rather discouraged because this was how my son's birth started and it was not an experience I wanted to repeat but after a lot of encouragement from John, my mom and the wonderful nurses, I realized this was going to be different because I had different tools to use.

We started the artificial induction with the gel on my cervix, lots of walking and visualizations. We waited and that had no effect so we started with a low dose of Pitocin and slowly increased it. My surges started fast and strong. i was able to walk and sit on the birth ball and find comfortable positions despite being attached to the IC. The baby hadn't had a chance to turn so I was experiencing a lot of discomfort in my back but my mom and John would push on my back at each surge and that helped a lot. My doctor came in to check me after about four hours and I was only 3 cm and 100 % effaced but then at the next surge I felt like I wanted to push! I kept saying "Get her back here to check me because I want to push!" No one could believe that I would go to 10 cm that quickly but afer the doctor came back and checked indeed I had. i knew that pushing was what the baby wanted me to do instead of breathing down. I pushed for 1 - 1/2 hours and finally a head emerged. Let me preface this by saying the most amazing thing through thge birthing was that I felt everything. I felt when the baby urned, I felt my uterus working with her, I felt where she was along the birth path. When her head emerged.

Doctor Susskind did a lot of massage to ensure I didn't tear and I didn't. John delivered her onto my chest. She was calm and never cried - just grunted a lot (like Mom throughout the birth). We didn't know the sex when she was born and we realised when she was oln me that no one saw so John took a peak and vrified we had a little girl -well, I should say a big girl . . . 8 lbs 9 oz! Within 20 minutes she was latched on and happily eating.

GHrace has a calmness about her that I attribute to her peaceful birth. I am so thankful that I had the tools to have the birth that I knew was possible. I also am grateful that I now know how to really relax. I have the ability to relax myself and I will continue to use this other aspects of my life.

Thanks for all your support! It was great to have another place to go to get my questions answered and get the support I needed.